Monday, March 17, 2014

Cold Week

This week the weather was pretty typical in Taiwan... but I had a cold. That's why it's cold week. I've had a really bad sore throat and my nose has been really stuffy-- aka impossible to breath and I've been coughing a lot. It started on Wednesday night. So Thursday, Friday, Saturday. and Sunday I had to wear a surgical mask (because that's what people do when their sick out here). Today I'm not wearing one because I'm feeling a lot better. Just the remnants of a cough are left, a little bit of a sore throat (because it keeps being agitated by the coughing) and my nose is stuffy. But I can feel that I'm getting better. So really no worries. It was just really annoying.

BUT despite the cold. We had a baptism this week. Sister C. (who was going to get baptized on the 22) moved her baptism up a week so that her son could attend. It was a really good experience. My companion and I sang at the baptism and the spirit was really strong the whole time. Sister C. is an amazing woman with incredible faith. It's been really cool to teach her and see her grow.

Other than that there isn't a whole lot to say this week. Just a few random things.
First: I was curious-- while I've been gone, what kind of changes has the family gone through? Like what individual changes have you all had? How have you grown? Also what will be different when I get home?

Also-- Garrett and Braeden: Make good choices. We contacted this young kid on the street the other day. He was just sitting by himself smoking. I asked him what grade he was in. He's 14 years old and he's been smoking for half a year. I told him that he should stop because it'll kill him someday. We also gave him a for strength of youth pamphlet. He was a really nice kid-- just making a dumb decision. Well over half the population of Taiwan smokes (or at least has tried it) and everyone I know who smokes started when they were about 14. Obviously Garrett and Braeden don't live in the same circumstances as people out here-- but really it's just such a nasty thing. And we deal with a lot of people who we have to help overcome this addiction. It's a nasty habit.

In the same day that we met that boy, we were knocking doors and met another teenage boy. He looked really familiar and I asked if we knew each other. He said no (but I was wearing a surgical mask-- so maybe that's why he didn't recognize me). Anyway-- we talked to him a little about God and prayer and the Book of Mormon. He had been to church a couple times and knew missionaries from before. Eventually he even admitted that he's read the entire Book of Mormon. It was so crazy! Well after a few more questions we realized that he's been baptized (but I would've never guessed because he told us he's Atheist and also asked what is the difference between our church and other churches). He was baptized last October. He's willing to meet again because he has a lot of questions for us. It was just such a weird experience. Also-- I recognized him because I've met with him before with Sister Bang. So crazy. Moral of the story is-- the Lord leads you to the people who need to be found.

The end. I love you all.
Keep working hard. Make good choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment